Showing posts with label Muhammadu Buhari. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Muhammadu Buhari. Show all posts

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Buhari asks UN to help free abducted Chibok girls




Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari has invited the United Nations to help negotiations to exchange the kidnapped schoolgirls from Chibok for detained leaders of Boko Haram, a government statement said on Thursday.
Buhari's government has been criticized for failing to free the Chibok girls by parents of the abducted students, community leaders and human rights activists. Boko Haram has kidnapped thousands of people, but the mass abduction of 276 schoolgirls in April 2014 brought international condemnation of Nigeria's home-grown Islamic extremist group. Dozens of the girls escaped, but 217 remain missing.
Buhari's request for UN intermediaries is a "show of commitment" made to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday on the sidelines of the annual UN. gathering of world leaders in New York, said a statement from presidential adviser Femi Adesina.

Buhari told Ban that his government is "willing to bend over backwards" to win the girls' freedom but finding credible Boko Haram leaders for negotiations has been difficult, especially because of the current leadership struggle among the extremists.
Longtime Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau's faction in August posted a video showing about 50 Chibok girls and offering a prisoner swap. An unidentified fighter in the video suggests the government deal with a journalist trusted by the extremists. That was an apparent reference to Dubai-based Nigerian journalist Ahmad Salkida, who was subsequently detained by Nigerian intelligence agents and released. He was accused of knowing the whereabouts of the girls, which he denied.

Last week, Information Minister Lai Mohammed said the government had nearly secured the girls' release three times but negotiations collapsed.
One activist with the Bring Back Our Girls campaign, Washington-based Nigerian Emmanuel Ogebe, said the United Nations is not a suitable intermediary since it has been a victim of Boko Haram attacks. He suggested a better choice would be France, which has helped negotiate the release of Boko Haram kidnap victims in neighboring Cameroon.

Boko Haram attacked the UN's Nigeria headquarters in Abuja, the capital, in August 2011 with a car bomb that detonated in the reception area, killing at least 21 people. Last month, the extremists launched a rocket attack on a humanitarian convoy under military escort in northeast Nigeria, wounding three people including a UNICEF worker. That caused a halt to UN aid to dangerous-to-reach areas outside Maiduguri, the biggest city in northeast Nigeria and birthplace of Boko Haram.

Most girls kidnapped by Boko Haram have been forced to marry fighters and are pregnant or have babies, according to some people freed in the past year as the military has recaptured territory.
The government has isolated the only one of the Chibok group to escape this year, saying she is receiving medical care and counseling. However, Human Rights Watch has asked whether Amina Ali Nkeki is now a detainee.

AP

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Dangote tomatoes set to tackle poverty, unemployment in Nigeria




KANO It's a situation that mirrors the giant oil industry, where Nigeria has abundant resources but has lacked the capacity, will or ability to exploit it, forcing a reliance on imports.
But Africa's richest man Aliko Dangote is hoping to change tomato production with a giant factory that will boost domestic output, create jobs -- and even, indirectly, fight Boko Haram.
For the past five years, the Dangote Group conglomerate he heads has been working to build a $20-million (18.4-million-euro) tomato processing plant outside the northern city of Kano.
The city and state of the same name has been blighted by poverty and unemployment, seen as key drivers to radicalisation fuelling the Islamist insurgency in the wider north since 2009.
But it's hoped the giant factory the size of 10 football pitches, set alongside 17,000 hectares (acres) of irrigated fields, will help by tapping a potential agricultural goldmine.
The country's agriculture ministry puts annual current demand for tomato puree at 900,000 tonnes.
When the Dangote factory opens from next month it will provide 430,000 tonnes of paste that is used widely in Nigerian dishes from jollof rice to fiery soups.
"Nigeria is such a huge market for tomato paste that we will find quite challenging to satisfy," the factory's general manager, Abdulkarim Kaita, told AFP.
"Already local tomato paste packaging companies have placed orders with us which we will have to work hard to satisfy.
"We are set to begin operations. We are only waiting for the tomatoes which are ripening in the fields."
  
Nigeria grows some 1.5 million tonnes of tomatoes every year, making it the 14th biggest producer in the world.
But it's forced to rely on imports of tomato puree, mostly from China, because of a lack of processing plants.
Dangote's factory, built by Switzerland-based Syngenta, will directly employ 120 people and 50,000 farmers have been engaged to grow the tomatoes required for the process of making concentrate.
The Central Bank of Nigeria has provided technical assistance such as soft loans for seeds and fertiliser. The factory will then buy the produce at competitive rates, said Kaita.
Currently, about half of the local tomato crop rots because of a lack of storage facilities, poor pricing and access to markets, which has prompted many farmers to stop cultivation, said the CBN.
The improved seed varieties to increase yields, access to chemicals, more up-to-date farming techniques and a ready market for the produce is designed to entice farmers back.
"Once we start production the factory will be providing employment to farmers and (the) tomato paste packaging industry, traders, haulage operators and many others to support the tomato value chain," said production manager Ashwin Patil.
Plans to increase production -- and acquire an idle tomato paste factory in neighbouring Kaduna state -- are in the pipeline, he added.
For farmers such as Yusuf Ado Kadawa, it's a lifeline.
"We really incur heavy losses from our yield, which rots away due to lack of (a) ready market for our tomatoes, which is a perishable produce. But now we have a market close to us," he said.
  
President Muhammadu Buhari is keen to diversify Nigeria's economy away from an over-reliance on oil as revenues have been severely depleted by the global slump in crude prices.
Former agriculture minister Akinwumi Adesina, now head of the African Development Bank, in 2013 described the sector as "the new oil".
Some 30 percent of Nigeria's estimated 170 million people are employed in agriculture, mostly at a subsistence level, although moves have been made to commercialise production.
Erratic power supply, which Nigeria has been grappling with for more than two decades, and lack of import controls remain the factory's main challenges.
The factory will have to rely on diesel-hungry generators for electricity, adding to production costs and reducing competitiveness with cheaper imports.
Both issues contributed to the collapse of hundreds of factories in Dangote's home state of Kano in the past two decades, including his textile and wheat flour factories.
But the vice-president of Nigeria's manufacturers union, Ali Madugu, said the future still looked bright.
"Once the government can place restrictions on the import of Chinese tomato pastes... the sky's the limit for the Dangote tomato paste because the market is there for them to exploit," he added.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Nigerian Expats In Qatar Celebrate 55th National Day





The Giwan Hall of Radisson Blu Hotel in Doha was filled to the brim with elegantly dressed Nigerian expats and other guests on October 16 to celebrate the 55th anniversary of the country’s independence. This event was organised by the Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation-Qatar (NIDO-Qatar) with Lulu Hypermarket and Gulf Warehousing Company as sponsors. There are more than 7500 Nigerians living in Qatar, most of who are professionals in the fields of oil & gas, medicine, engineering, health & safety, education, hospitality, academia etc.
The event organised to mark the Independence Day of Nigeria which falls on October 1 — was an occasion for the Nigerian expats to demonstrate unity in diversity as represented by various ethnic groups in the country. Individuals and groups showcased their typical traditional heritage and culture for the audience, which included diplomats from Liberia, Swaziland, Benin Republic and the Gambia.
On this 55th anniversary of independence, the keynote speaker was HE Enoch Duchi, Charge D’Affaires of Embassy of Nigeria in Qatar. Throughout his presentation, Duchi challenged his fellow Nigerians to remember that they are in the Diaspora- and must come together to support the change agenda of President Muhammadu Buhari.
“I congratulate you all fellow Nigerians, brothers, sisters and friends of our dear country!
“We should be good ambassadors of Nigeria in our host country Qatar and
Amadi Nwokocha, President of Nido-Qatar in his keynote speech said: “The celebration of Nigeria @ 55 is an opportunity for critical reflection of our journey so far, and a rededication to the ideals of our founding fathers, so that their labour will not be in vain.”
Amadi said the current Executive Council of NIDO-Qatar was elected in June 2015 and commenced work to deliver the mandate of its members. He said the key challenge has been to restore the image and dignity of Nigerians in Qatar.
“We appreciate that this task cannot be accomplished overnight and, therefore, have undertaken some strategic initiatives in this process.
“We have embarked on initiation of the development of a comprehensive database of Nigerians resident in Qatar; rebranding of the organisation through redesign of the logo and rebuilding of the website.
“Also, we have opened regular engagement between the organisation and officials of the Nigerian embassy. Relations with the embassy officials have been greatly enhanced,” Amadi added.
The new logo and website of the organisation will be launched soon according to the official.
The evening included a bountiful buffet table of Nigerian foods and special cultural dances – including the Yoruba Dance Group that stole the thunder with their dance steps. The group led by Bisi Bello, an official of the association danced to the admiration of the crowd who cheered their dance steps as they rhythmically moved and swung their backside lower to the earth on the dance floor. What followed next was the spraying of Qatar Riyals to dancers as it was placed on their forehead while dancing away at the event.
Madam Gloria’s “God bless Nigeria” music captivated guests who stood up to applaud the woman who over the years had entertained Nigerian residents in Qatar selflessly.
Emmanuel Nnanyelugo’s (Push) “Yeye Boy” soundtrack was greeted with applause and BGY’s, a Yoruba music band entertained through the night with their talking drums and DJ Walexy mixed the latest jams.
There were a raffle draw and winners emerged to take home Iphone 6 plus, Ipad Air 2 and laptop with other consolation prizes for best dancer, kids and for artists.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Before Buhari negotiates with Boko Haram

While it is on record that the last administration of former president Goodluck Jonathan made overtures negotiation with Boko Haram but with no success because of its tactlessness and ideology, the process never saw the light of the day as the government embarrassed itself after it earlier announced a ceasefire on October 17, 2014. But rude shock awaited the nation as the radicalized
sect unleashed coordinated and devastating attacks.

While Nigerians were excited with the prospect of lasting peace that has evaded the nation since Boko Haram launched military operations in 2009 to create an Islamic state. Thousands have been killed, mostly in the north-east of the country with a famous attack at the United Nations headquarters in Abuja. The abduction of the Chibok girls shocked humanity and the heavens as the group kidnapped over 200 school girls. Till date, no success has been made as regards their whereabouts.
More painful was Nigeria's military that said it has agreed a ceasefire with Islamist militants Boko Haram - and that the schoolgirls the group has abducted will be released as part of a supposed negotiation agreement. Nigeria's chief of defence staff, Alex Badeh, announced the truce.  A presidential spokesman of the last administration had also said Boko Haram had announced a unilateral ceasefire and the government had responded.
Then Nigerian government spokesman Mike Omeri said Boko Haram would not be given territory under the ceasefire agreement - and that the government would not reveal what concessions it would make.
It was the leader of the group, Abubakar Shekau, who made the world know it was "419” and that the government was duped. It was obvious the government negotiated with an impostor and to think all the machinery of government was deployed in that project yet they couldn’t detect the sham. The Goodluck Jonathan government was left in a pitiable state as Shekau said in a video of October 31, that his group did not deal with any authorities.  The Nigeria government was duped roundly and nobody was reprimanded for this careless gaffe.

It is this experience of the last administration that informed my writing of this article after presidential spokesman Femi Adesina disclosed in an interview with BBC Africa on Saturday, that Buhari has declared his readiness to negotiate with the dreaded Boko Haram terrorists.
Barely a 100 days in office, the Buhari government is already contemplating and has opened the door for these terrorists. The arguments against negotiating with terrorists are simple: Government must never give in to violence, and terrorists must never be rewarded for using it. Negotiations with Boko Haram give legitimacy to these terrorists and their method. With the French government already planning to sustain its efforts in the fight against Boko Haram, any open discussions by Buhari with Boko Haram can destabilize the country's political landscape, undermine international efforts to outlaw terrorism, and set a dangerous precedent.

While it is obvious that the government might not have a sustained intelligence programme to neutralize the sect, the negotiation ideology seems it’s most viable. The key objective for the Buhari administration contemplating negotiations with Boko Haram is not just to put a stop violence but to ensure in a way that lessen the hazard of setting dangerous precedents and destabilizing the country. Before Buhari finally decides to meet Boko, a number of factors must be in place to even have a chance of success.
First is the identity and originality of the negotiators. Like what the Jonathan government experienced where it was fooled for about two weeks of talking with a supposed key man of the group. Buhari and his intelligence personnel must seriously be serious to ascertain whether the Boko Haram terrorists it faces can make good negotiating partners. Before any formal meetings, the government must be sure of the persons they are dealing with to avoid a similar fate like the last administration. More importantly, the media shouldn’t even be involved until they are sure. Having suffered so much in the hands of these terrorists, our security, intelligence agencies and other experts should have known the aims and ideology of Boko Haram that should be the decisive factor in determining whether they might be willing to compromise. With everything, Boko Haram stands for, do they think the group will be willing to come to the table to negotiate?

Before the government considers negotiating with Bo Haram, a deciding factor is to check the level of internal cohesion of the group. We all know there are many sinister groups that have claimed to speak for Boko Haram, but it has turned to be false following their serial attacks and non-committal to negotiations. Buhari must consider not only whether the Boko Haram leadership will accept the terms of a settlement but also whether it can control its rank and file. Over time, we have seen how Shekau has come out to dismiss groups after groups claiming to have represented it.

While there is no perfect time to negotiate with terrorist groups it is also noteworthy that it is too early in the life the present government to consider negotiating with Boko Haram. If they have pushed them off completely and on the verge of total defeat then a negotiation is understandable. But in the present situation, we haven’t been told of a major break in the rank and file of the group.  Negotiations are best put on the table when a terrorist group has declared a permanent cessation of violence. Am aware Boko Haram hasn’t called for a ceasefire so why the hurry to request for a negotiation. The government should push for a ceasefire before dangling a negotiation deal. What will be the basis for a negotiation if there is no ceasefire? The government should have exerted all its military might to opt for the negotiating table. Our armed forces and joint forces from Chad, Cameroon and Niger Republic are doing quite remarkably but need intelligence and expertise to quell the excesses of Boko Haram.

To be continued…..