Sunday, December 29, 2013

Nigerians in Qatar cry for their passports

--> About 400 Nigerians residents in Qatar are in dire need of their passports that is yet to be delivered since the passport intervention team of the Nigerian Immigration Service took their details and data in September 2013.

The arrival of the NIS was received with applause as some Nigerians especially kids haven't gotten the passport. What was celebrated as a sign of good things to come has now turned into a nightmare and regret for those that applied for the passport.

In October, the NIS produced about 93 passports mostly for new born babies and children. The bulk of the passports are yet to be delivered to the applicants. Consequently it has truncated the holiday plans of so many who intended traveling home or elsewhere. For some it has affected their job, because they can't renew their resident permit. Of significance is a man whose wife has threatened to walk away from their Holy Matrimony if the husband doesn't return home on 31 December.
Efforts have been made to reach the Immigration office in Abuja and it is the same story that their technical partners are the ones delaying the production. Even the Nigerian Embassy in Qatar are helpless as are not sure giving a realistic date to Nigerians.

"Please I am sick of this situation, what have I done wrong to Nigeria Immigration to hold my passport since September," says Samson Olakunle.

"I need to renew my license and am stuck here, my family has been waiting for me to travel home but I cannot. I have called the embassy and nobody is answering my call, please help me," says another Nigerian Frank.
This is a clarion call to the authorities in charge to please be considerate and save the situation. Apart from paying over 20,000 Naira for the service, it is unfair and unjust to make Nigerians go through this pains abroad.




No comments: